As promised- the paper clay recipe from the website passed along to me-
This was the most fun I've had at 'cooking' in awhile. My family thought I was insane! The first batch I did strictly by the recipe.
If you can't read this - I don't know how to link to websites and all that fancy stuff- Chinamommy is supposed to come and help me with that and help me set up an Etsy store but she's as hard to pin down as a wisp of smoke- or maybe that's me and yes, I am the queen of the run on sentence- then go to the website which has tons of other great info.
I thought it was a bit lumpy and I have a problem with thinking I know everything so I added a bit more of this and a bit more of that. This is usually where my cooking goes wrong. I wanted the paper fibers to be shorter or finer? I guess I was looking for it to be exactly like creative paper clay and it wasn't.
So next I tried dissolving the toilet paper in a big pan of water over the stove, gently warming it and then I let it sit thinking it would take up more water and dissolve better. It did get 'fluffier?" Then I put it in a dish strainer and pressed as much water out of it as I could. It was kind of a trade off for cutting it up into 1" bits. I think it was still more wet than the original way so I added more flour and more drywall mud than the recipe called for. I did not increase the oil by very much- you can tell if it is sticking to your hands you need a little more. Finally I decided I surely must have ruined it and by now I had enough to fill a cake pan. I put it in the fridge and left it a day to set up.
When I did use it on my sculpture I was pleasantly surprised by it. It acts differently than the brand name product but I adapted. It dried hard and while it doesn't sand up quite as smoothly as the brand name clay I think it has its own nice texture to it.
I believe that I will use this for the bulk of my project and do a final skim coat of the brand name clay over top of that. I'm working on a big piece and am looking for ways to save money and the hassle of buying tiny little bricks. Its worth a try anyways- the materials were about 15$ and those first two batches made about 4 or more bricks worth. I still have enough materials to make bunches more. Whew! Betcha didn't think you'd have to read a novel!